Thursday, May 22, 2008

I have taken a break in my trip posting this week. My grandpa Fyans passed away on Sunday and I just wanted to do a little tribute to him on my blog. He was 90 years and one day old. He was such a loving grandpa and the thing I will always remember about him was that he would always ask us if we knew how much he loved us. Then he would ask us if we knew how much he loved our parents. He was very good at expressing his love and appreciation for his family. I stole this pic from my little sisters blog (thanks for tracking this down Julie).

Last night was grandpa's viewing. We were told that it started at 6:00pm but that the general authorities wanted to meet with the children and grandchildren at 5:30pm for their own special viewing. (My grandpa was an emeritus General Authority). So we got there at 5:30pm and saw Elder Hales leaving just as we walked in. Then we saw Elder Perry and Elder Gonzalez spoke with them for a minute. Others saw and talked to Elder Cook and Elder Ballard. Then a security guard came in and told us President Monson was coming in. We were all shocked I think. He came in and the security people blocked the doors so it was just my family and the prophet. He talked to my grandma for a minute and expresses his condolences. Then he said, "well I am not shy," and then started telling us stories about my grandpa when they were in Australia. Then President Monson told us more stories about him and how he watched wrestling years ago. He had us all laughing and crying at the same time. He said his wife was not as well as he was and gets tired very easily.
He was there talking with us for probably 20 minutes. What a great exprience. I cannot put into the words the spirit that was there. He was such a nice and engaging man. I will always remember his face as he said, "goodbye Tom." to my grandpa as he left.
Here are some pictures that my brother in law took with his phone as the prophet was talking to my grandma.

5 comments:

Dyana said...

Missy...So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. This story is so neat. I had a similar experience with President Monson last month. My Aunt passed away & President Monson was friends with my uncle so the prophet came & spoke at my aunts funeral. He was casual but the spirit was STRONG.
Funerals bite but, when you have a cool experience like that, it's not so bad. RIGHT?

SARAH said...

What an amazing experience for your family.
This is crazy- but I remember when I was a little kid and your grandparents came over to your house when I was over playing with you, and I remember your Grandpa greeting you and Julie with a kiss and I think he didn't want me to feel left out so he gave me a kiss too. So sweet! I remember him being so kind.

Let's get together sometime soon- it's been a while!

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

That is neat that you got to see President Monson, I am glad that I got to watch Morgan. I am sorry about your Grandpa, it is hard to lose a grandparent.
Morgan told me last night that she wanted to marry John, and I asked her why she does not want to marry Caden and she told me friends can't marry friends. She makes me laugh. I had a blast with her last night. Oh and she told me that you wanted to throw her in the garbage can! Care to explain? JK!
Hope the funeral went well.

Liz said...

Condelences on your loss. What a lucky person to have a grandfather for so long!! I never knew either of my grandfathers because they both passed away at such young ages. What a memory to cherish of meeting with apostles and prophets!!!

Jaime said...

I'm sorry about your Grandpa. What an incredible experience to have the prophet speak with your family and share his stories about your Grandpa.