Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 2 continued

Ok I am ready to continue with Day 2. After the Killing Fields we went to a place called Tuol Sleng prison. It was originally a high school that the Khmer Rouge took over and used it for a prison/torture chamber. This place was also very somber. There were a total of four buildings that we toured, but I could only handle the first two. The first one we went in was Building A where there were all these rooms that were full of beds frames with hand cuffs on them and pictures of dead people in these beds. Very gross.





Then building B was full and I mean full of pictures of all the people that had been killed in Tuol Sleng prison, men, women and children. Then the pictures of the dead men who had been electrocuted and were naked. That is when I said "I'm done."


It was all very depressing but I feel like people need to know about these things, so we can prevent them from happening to these poor people again.

Ok I am done with all the gross depressing stuff. After Tuol Sleng prison we went to a local market called the Russian market and shopped for cool stuff. But let me tell you it was a giant tent that you walk into and it goes on forever and it is all twisty and they have smelly food all over and it is, of course, about 120 degrees, so I didn't want to hang out too long...

Mike (who was our guide for Phnom Penh) introduced a couple of us to a friend that he had in the Russian market. She was a Cambodian who had burns all over her hands and face and was selling these pencil drawings for $2.50. But she said that if we were friends with Mike that she would sell it to us for $1.50. She was soo nice. So I bought one from her and gave her $2.00 and she was so grateful to get it. The guy I was with, (Blake, who you will hear many stories about) gave her $3.00 for one of them. It is amazing how grateful she was for so little.

Then we took a TukTuk back to the hotel. This is a cart on the back of a little moped and they are everywhere. Now you remember how I said the driving is crazy, well try to experience this on the back of a moped with cars zooming about 2 inches from you, what an adventure! Our goal was to take the best picture of crazy moto drivers. Here is a dad with two kids, the little kid is on top of two boxes on the back and they are not tied down... This is totally normal for Cambodia







We had heard about a restaurant where the proceeds went to the children's street fund in Cambodia so a group of us headed out that night to find it. It ended up pouring rain on us as we wondered all over the city trying to find it. We never did find it, but we sure had a good laugh at ourselves.


1 comments:

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

I read a series about the Khmer Rouge, I can't remember the book name or author. But the story really hit me hard it is so sad and depressing, but you can learn alot from it. I like your updates.