Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 2

Day 2 was much better than day 1. Day 1 I was seriously ready to jump on an airplane and fly home. I was so homesick. But Day 2 I made some new friends and I realized that just about everyone was ready to jump on airplane and fly home, so I felt better.


So we were in Phnom Penh (pronounced Nom Pen) Cambodia and it was our day to do tours and see the city. We started off at this city park where there were all kinds of people walking around selling stuff. This is a pic of Jamon from our group who knew how to tie balloon animals and tied them for the kids everywhere we went. He was a huge hit.


Here is a picture of a couple people in our group that rode an elephant that was giving rides in the park. I told them that in Cambodia when you ride an elephant with someone of the opposite gender then you are now married, they didn't think that was funny.



Next is a picture of my cute roommate Angie and I at the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh.

Next we went and saw the Killing Fields. Now I had no idea about any of this stuff until we had to do research on Cambodia before we left. Look up the Khmer Rouge and the Killing Fields to learn more about this, it is very tragic.

Here is a memorial that was built for all the skulls that the people found after Pol Pot (who was basically like Hitler) and the Khmer Rouge came through and killed everyone who was educated in anyway. Inside the memorial are hundreds if not thousands of skulls of men, women and children who were killed and buried in mass graves. After you walk through the memorial you walk around the back and there are holes all over where people had dug up these mass graves and left the holes, so you could see just how many of them there are. There are also clothes all over that had grown into the roots of the trees and into the dirt. It is a very sad feeling walking through this field. Looking at the clothes that were still in the ground really made it hit home for me that thousands of people were beaten, killed and just thrown into the ground. You can't even imagine the creepy and sad feeling there is at this place.








Day 2 will have to continue tomorrow. I am soo tired. I am STILL jet lagged, I cannot seem to get my days and nights back to normal!

2 comments:

Angi Gerrie said...

That does look creepy!

Jaime said...

Wow. That is crazy. Cool pictures though.

Did you ride an elephant too?