Sunday, January 27, 2008

Malaria, Typhoid, Diarrhea, oh my!

So I went the the doctor on Friday to get my immunizations for my trip to China. Our trip coordinator told us to go at least 6 weeks beforehand to let the immunizations really take over, or something to that effect. So I go and give them my list of cities that we are visiting in China and Cambodia. The doctor comes back with a whole list of things I get to start worrying about three months before our trip, one of the drawbacks of going so early! I get to take two different prescriptions before I go, one for malaria and one for typhoid fever, which both sounds so pleasant. He also prescibed me some anti-diarrhea medication, but instructed me that I am only to take it if I have diarrhea more than ten times in one day. Yeah, like up to that point it is normal and you should really not worry about taking anything! I also requested some medication for an anxiety freak for the plane ride, so he gave me Xanex. On top of all of this I got two shots, one for Hepatitis A and the other was a tetanus shot; one in each arm.

Well which ever shot I got in my left arm was a shot full of pain. Later Friday night it felt like someone had punched me in the arm and it kept getting worse and worse. Saturday I couldn't let anyone get within 5 feet of my arm, it hurt so bad. I can't lift my arm and even my shoulder and up to my neck hurt. Well this morning as I was in the shower I notice my arm is all swollen, it looks like a giant goose egg on my arm. John insisted that this happens, but I am not really convinced.

If this is any indication of how my trip will be, I may decide to quit now!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like a blast.
Didn't I warn you about China?

SARAH said...

Watch out when you start those Malaria pills- you might as well just have Malaria.

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Oh wow! All of that to go on a vacation! I hope your arm gets feeling better.

Kelleen said...

I'm sorry, but I still don't feel bad for you. You are going to China! I'd give an arm to go to China. Okay, not really give an arm, but it's going to be awesome and worth it.

Becca S. said...

I bet that the nurses and doctors had a good time with you. I'm sure that they would leave the room, laugh, compose themselves and come back in. Good luck!

Jewels said...

I'm getting anxiety to go to Connecticut so I'm no help calming your nerves to go to China! :) Hopefully it will all be worth it once you get there. Hey it's a once in a lifetime experience so just enjoy it!

wisthrop said...

I feel for you Missy. Shots are never fun. I had my flu shot finally on Sunday and now I have a slight cold. Coincidence? I think not!

Have an awesome time though! I am so excited for you!

Heather said...

Hi Missy... I know you miss me so much huh? It's Heather(Chapman). I saw your blog from Shannons and thought I'd say hi! It looks like you are doing well! Have fun on your trip! You have a really cute family! Take care... I will blog stalk you now! hee hee