Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 7

Today we got up and said goodbye to Cambodia. I had such a great time there and really didn't want to head out and move on. I really grew to like it there and could just head out and go find cool things to do and see. But it was time to move on with the trip. We flew to Hong Kong and got the spend the afternoon/night there.
There was a guy on the trip with us who looked exactly like Justin, who is my ex-husband. I finally broke down and told him this and we all had a good laugh. Here we are at the Phnom Penh airport; I thought everyone who knew Justin would get a good kick out of this pic.
The first thing a couple of us did when we got to Hong Kong was head out to find the temple. I really wanted to see it and I was really disappointed to remember that my recommend was in John's wallet! We took a taxi there and pulled up to see about 25 missionaries who were standing in the front. I can't even tell you how comforting it was to see American missionaries. We chatted with them for a couple minutes; they were very curious about why a group of American students were traveling around Cambodia and China.
Here is the entrance to the temple:
We walked around and took pictures of the temple for a while, and then decided to come back at night to see the temple all lit up. So what do a group of American's do with one night in Hong Kong? We go find a McDonalds!!!
It was not good... The fries were really salty and they only had one hamburger that was like a Big Mac that had this really spicy sauce on it. I really enjoyed my Coke if that counts for anything.
So we went back to the temple after dark and got some really good pictures.
After that we took another taxi to this place right off the ocean that was exactly like the Hollywood Walk of Fame with the stars in the sidewalk; except they had all Chinese actors. We did see Jackie Chan's star; which was the only name I even recognized. They had this laser show there that played along with music. It was kind of lame-o but cool to look off of the Kowloon side of Hong Kong over the the Hong Kong side; which are separated by the ocean. There were lots of huge buildings and they lit up along with the music.
After that we walked to Nathan Street; which is like their "main drag". We only stayed there for about 1/2 hour because we were all shopped out and were so tired. Here is my cheesy grin on Nathan Street.
Let me show you the view of the hotel pool from my hotel room door. It was freakin' huge, but it was closed because it was winter; which just made me laugh because it was about 98 degrees outside. The rooms reminded me of the BYU dorms only smaller. I was clausterphobic just standing in the room. You had to walk sideways to just past the foot of the beds. If that is not ironic, that the rooms in Cambodia were far better than the rooms in Hong Kong.

1 comments:

Corpuz Family said...

Great pics, Love the pic of the temple in the dark.